Monday, May 22, 2006

Caring from some obscure places

I got the attached e-mail this morning from a really sweet girl named Kerry-Ann.

To back-up a bit, every summer I hire a student program assistant and a computer lab monitor for the summer programs I run. Kerry-Ann was my student program assistant for Summer 2005. She was one of the most attentive student workers I have had in the 8 years I have been running these programs (actually, I think I only had problems with one students in all of those years...but I digress) and she contacts me every once in a while to say hi, at my request since I like to keep up with the students who worked for me. She amazed me from the start - a young college girl from Africa, who was here at RU on a track scholarship. She ran track, kept her grades up to an 3.7+ average, and worked the entire time she was in college. I have no idea how she did it - she was pleasant every day, and had enough energy to equal 2 three-year-olds!

She left me a phone message on Mother's Day at my office to say Happy Mother's Day - which was so sweet, considering some people forgot about me on that day (see post on What happened to Mother's Day?). So, I sent her an e-mail to thank her for remembering - How could I not, since she took the time to find my phone number and leave a message. Here was her response to my thank you:

Hello Christine,

Things are going fine. I can't forget how your face gets lightened up when you spoke about your son. You carry the mark of a very very happy and proud mother, so on mothers day I had to remember you. I hope your baby is doing great. I hope this are going good for you at the office. Say hi to my former co-workers for me please. I will stay intouch. HAVE A GOOD DAY

Kerry-Ann

Today is the 6 month anniversary of my first known miscarriage (or, technically, my second miscarriage, since I didn't know about my first "official" miscarriage until my follow-up appointment with my third - what a mouthful!) and one day past my 2 month anniversary of my second known miscarriage. Receiving this message this morning has meant more to me than this young girl will ever know. She really touched my heart with this simple message - and I hope that, through all that has happened, that I still light up when I talk about my Chris. He is the most important thing in the world to me and I would never want him to be lost in the shuffle of all of the pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is SO right - you are wonderful mother and she is right on to remember you on this special day.

Joy

P.S. I had no idea Tina wasn't your name! ha!