Friday, September 29, 2006

Update to "...Lets keep the good news a'rollin' in!"

In my post, ...Lets keep the good news a'rollin' in!, I explained that Dr. S told me that my T4 were probably elevated because if the damned birth control pills. This was true - here are my new Thyroid numbers, as compared to my old ones:

TSH:

  • from July 15: 2.555
  • from August 15: 1.964
  • from September 22: 2.012
  • Average range limits: 0.350-5.500

T3:

  • from July 15: Not run
  • from August 15: 26
  • from September 22: 24
  • Average range limits: 24-39

T4:

  • from July 15: 12.1
  • from August 15: 13.6
  • from September 22: 7.2
  • Average range limits: 4.5-12.0

Free T4:

  • from July 15: not run
  • from August 15: 3.5
  • from September 22: 1.07
  • Average range limits: 1.0-4.9

So, the levels in and of themselves for right now are perfect. Here's the glitch:

I am reading elevated for one of two thyroid antibodies:

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO): Negative

Anti-Thyroid Antibodies (ATA): 63 (with upper limit being 40).

What does this mean now? Well, we are back to being higher risk in pregnancy again - talk about bursting my bubble! Guess we can't get off this ride that easily.

Dr. S wants to see that my TSH BEFORE pregnancy is below 2.0, even though the "normal" range falls between 0.350-5.500. If it is higher than 2.0 (which it is right now), then she is going to suggest I be put on thyroid medication prior to pregnancy to lower the number.

This means, retesting my levels in November when I meet with Dr. D for our pre-conception consult, retesting again in December and retesting yet again in January as we start infertility treatments...

Also means that the MFM clinic will need to monitor not only the MTHFR issues in the 1st trimester, but also monitor me closely througout the entire pregnancy.

It could be worse, right? My levels could be off the charts NOW, which would be a problem. But, they are not. So, I guess I will be in for more blood-lettings... hurray!

No comments: