Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Restoring some much needed faith

Had my physical done today with Dr. McC - and a good chuckle with him since he decided it was time for a baseline EKG. When did I become old enough to warrent the need for an EKG at a physical??? Am I really getting that old? Haha!

So, here are my bloodwork results so far:

Homocysteine levels:

  • from May: 10.8
  • from August: 15.3
  • average range limits: 3.3-10.4

Thyroid levels (T4 specifically, since this is the level in question):

  • from July: 12.1
  • from August: 13.6
  • average range limits: 4.5-12.0

Vitamin B-12 and Folate levels fall well into the normal range.

Cholesterol levels (which has been a constant battle for me for years now):

  • Total: 227 (should be under 200)
  • LDL (bad cholesterol): 133 (should be under 130)
  • HDL (good cholesterol): 60 (which is higher than normal, and balances out the LDL)

So, now I have to schedule the thyroid scan to see what is happening with the gland itself. There is something going on - but which is the real cause (MTHFR or thyroid) is yet to be determined.

BUT, I have a path to follow now, which is great. The Librax is a "patch" until we know what the real culprit is, and thank goodness it is working! I have some moments of anxiety, heart racing, stomach upset, etc. But, I'll take it over the past few weeks when it was impossible to escape it. I can eat again, and I have gained 2 pounds back in a week.

Dr. McC did promise me, though, that he will be in contact with Dr. D to make sure he is completely up to speed on what is happening - and that Dr. D gets this information to the MFM clinic for next week's consult. We may not have the full picture yet, but he said there is no reason to delay the process and postpone that appointment. Yeah! He wants them to give an opinion on treatment options - and work with them to make sure the care is managed well. Finally, I have the docs on my side.

He said he personally sees no reason why I can't go on to a healthy pregnancy...and hearing that right now feels so good. I won't get my hopes up too high just yet - I need to hear what the clinic has to say about m/c and birth defect odds first. But, it is a little faith that I need right now.

...Now, if I can only get my boss to STOP dumping more work on me!

2 comments:

ilyse said...

So glad to hear that the doctors are "on your side." And even beter that he sees no reason why you cannot have a healthy pregnancy! That is so wonderful.

Jessica said...

Im glad they think there is no reasonw hy you can't have a healthy pregnancy, and I have faith that it's the case as well. I'm not good with all the levels but your Thyroid levels seem decent. Mine were at 42 or something like that but quickly went down to 12 within a month of taking synthroid. Phew.